I started making my own bread again knowing that it would not have any artificial stuffs added to it. I called this "Healthy Bun" because it is pretty healthy as I used whole wheat flour, a little bread flour, old fashioned rolled oats, millet, black sesame seeds, milk, butter, brown sugar, salt and yeast. The ingredients that I am familiar with without any scientific name.
This bun is soft and remain soft. Since this is homemade, it is best eaten within 2 days at room temperature (you have to check for spoilage after 3rd days) . Otherwise, freeze it and just take out the amount you want to defroze it on the counter top. Mostly 30 minutes should be sufficient to defroze it, or for faster speed, use a microwave. I eat mine with organic jam and my daughters prefer theirs with Nutella.
This recipe makes about 21-22 buns, depending on the size you shape it. I put out the amount we eat for breakfast at room temperature in an air-tight container and freeze the rest. Just take out what I want the night before and have it the next morning.
After the Dough function is done
- 400ml water
- 2 Tbsp. butter, cut
- 6 tsp. brown sugar
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup bread flour
- 1 cup old fashioned rolled oats
- 2 Tbsp. millet
- 2 tsp. black sesame seeds
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. instant yeast
After proving but before baking
1. Add everything according to the ingredients list into your bread maker. Set to Dough function and turn it on.
2. When done, take out the dough, knead it a few times and cut the dough into half. Shape each half into log. Cut each log into 9 pieces. Shape each piece into ball shape and place into a muffin pan.
3. Let it proves until double in size like above picture, should take about an hour.
4. Preheat your oven to 375'F. Bake for 12 minutes. Cool on wire rack completely before storing in an air-tight container. You can freeze half of the buns for later.