Thursday, May 17, 2012

Healthy Juice


I used to juice years ago.  At that time my mother in-law was into juicing and she encouraged me to juice for my health.  I juiced for a little while and then in my pantry it went.  I took it out recently and started juicing again but not everyday as it can be pricey as I do recommend using organic produce to juice (The best is to juice everyday and drink it in the morning).  Frankly fresh juice is delicious, I had tried the common carrot + apple, carrot + apple + celery, carrot + celery, carrot + pear + celery, pineapple + mango, carrot + cucumber and this.  As you can see, usually I have carrot as a base.  I am not quite adventurous in my juicing (as thus far no green leafy green or sprout as I eat that in my stir-fry) but I will sure to add some veggie (mostly just carrot, cucumber and celery) into the mix.   Fruit juice alone would be too sweet so my juice would be vegetable base.   Had a glass of this for late afternoon snack and surprisingly it's quite filling.  It made 1.5 glass, my Edda had the other half.  :)

I saw a documentary where a man juice for 60 days to detox and lose weight.  In these 60 days, all he ate/drank were juice from fresh vegetable and fruit.  He also exercised during these 60 days.  At the end of 60 days, not only he lost weight, looked healthy but he was indeed healthier that he no longer needed a long list of medications.   All his numbers were at normal range.  This documentary is called "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead", pretty interesting!  This lead to an interesting point, my thought of this is if people are open minded, willing to change their life styles and the way they eat, all the prescriptions for high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetic would go down leading to less obesity, heart problem and other diseases.

Added Later: 
I heard that carrot is not suitable to mix with fruit when juicing because it will prevent the absorption of vitamin C.  So, it's best to separate the veggie and fruit when juicing.  Carrot and apple are the only interchangeable items that can be mixed into fruit or veggie juice.  So that our bodies can best absorb the nutrients.  Luckily the above is the most extreme that I had used.  I would suggest my readers to read more about juicing before you start.





Ingredients:

  • 2 organic carrots
  • 1/2 English cucumber
  • 1 orange
  • 1 Bosc. pear

Methods:

Wash produce thoroughly and make sure they are clean.  Cut into small pieces to fit into your juicer.  Juice it and drink right away or within 5 minutes.

I recommend using organic produce to make juice.  I'm going to simplify my juice to organic carrot only juice, organic carrot + organic apple juice, organic carrot + organic celery juice and organic carrot + organic apple + organic celery juice.  I might add a piece of ginger into the mix for the zing.

11 comments:

Noob Cook said...

for me the greatest obstacle in juicing is to wash the attachments esp the filter :p but the documentary benefits sounds really inspirational, maybe I'll take out my juicer again hehe

Only Fish Recipes said...

very delicious n healthy juice...loved it !!!!!!

WokandSpoon said...

Interesting regarding the documentary that you saw. I know I should eat more fruit and veg but end up eating cake and chocolate! Hehe - I noticed that you put the food wrap onto your cucumbers the same way as I do!

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

very informative post, Thanks for sharing.

Nava K said...

I used to juice for my other half and myself and this would be our first drink for the day when we are up from sleep. Now my juicer is sleeping in my pantry because I hate the washing of the juicer.

I have to agree that fresh juices are the best and we used to stick to only carrots for the de-tox effects.

Your juice is double healthy because of organic carrots and its perfect anytime for the day. Let me whether I can get back to juicing, maybe not everyday but a few days in between.

daphne said...

Oh i hate the cleaning up bit too! But that looks so healthy- drink it quick! I heard juice has to be drunk immediately after juicing or else the nutrients are gone!

Food For Tots said...

I am not into juicing yet. Still sourcing for a good model. Besides cleaning, space is another constraint. Good to have homemade juice. ;)

Little Corner of Mine said...

Noobcook, use a toothbrush or toothbrush size brush to clean the filter, it's very easy to clean. :)

Thanks only fish recipes.

Wokandspoon, haha...I put cling wrap on most things. :P

You're welcome Sonia.

Nava, I don't do it every day too, perhaps alternate or when I feel like it but at least 2-3 times a week. I just read from a Chinese's healthy tips FB and it doesn't recommend cold fruit/veggie juice first thing in the morning. For Chinese, something warm as breakfast is recommended (porridge, hot cereal, hot soybean milk, hot black sesame seeds drink, etc) then follow by the juice.

Yes Daphne, have to drink it immediately.

Yes F4T, it's really great to have homemade juice.

Anonymous said...

Hi there! Is me again. U can try this as well: green apple+green capsicum+celery+bitter gourd. Good to those high blood pressure patient s well

Little Corner of Mine said...

Thanks for your juice combo. Anon. But that combination is sour and bitter to me and doesn't seem to taste nice. But for those who is looking to lower their high blood pressure can certainly give this a try. :)

Anonymous said...

Anyone serious about juicing and hate having to clean up should look into buying a vitamix. It's pricy ($300) but it literally is the best thing I've ever used and clean takes about 30 sec - 1 min. Just add a drop of soap fill with some water, blend, and rinse.