Thursday, December 22, 2011

Easy Apple Raisin Tart (苹果葡萄干馅饼)


I was in the mood for experiment.  When I was making a pie crust for my sweet potato pie for Thanksgiving, I made an extra pie crust and freeze.  And then Granny Smith (green apple) was on sales for 3 for $1 and I couldn't pass it out so I bought 3.  But I only used 2 for this recipe.  With the ready made defroze pie crust and Granny Smith, I set to work.  It was really easy to put together (see instruction on next page) and when I was finished, it looks kind of blank.  So, I scattered some raisins on top and finally it looked presentable.

It turned out great too!  We all liked the flaky crispy crust with the sweet apple filling.  Keep any leftover in an air-tight container and toast it in a toaster oven for 5 minutes to crisp it up.



Ingredients:

  • 1 ready made pie crust  (homemade recipe here)
  • 2 Granny Smith apples, cored, peeled and thinly sliced

(A)
  • Dashes of ground cinnamon
  • Dashes of ground nutmeg (less than cinnamon)
  • 1/2 cup granulated cane sugar
  • 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
  • 1 tsp. brandy (optional)
  • 1/2 Tbsp. lemon juice
  • 1/4 cup raisins


Method:

1.  In a big bowl, combine sliced apple and (A).  Mix well with a spatula.  Let it sit at room temperature until sugar syrup comes out, about 20-30 minutes.

2.  Roll the pie crust into a rectangle shape and place on a parchment lined baking tray.

3.  Arrange the sliced apple on the pie crust leaving 1-inch border around it.  Spread the raisins all over it.  Fold the crust on top to cover the apple and create a bowl.  Pour the remaining syrup all over the apple.  Note:  You can brush egg wash on the pie crust for golden brown crust.

4.  Bake in preheated 350'F oven for 45 minutes.  Serve warm or at room temperature.  I keep the leftover in an air-tight container on my kitchen counter, but best eaten on the same day it was baked.


7 comments:

Smoky Wok (formerly Tastes of Home) said...

delicious!! love homemade crusts :)

Belinda @zomppa said...

That is not only stunning, but I can imagine the wonderful flavor!

pigpigscorner said...

Love the simplicity of this. Looks so good too!

Alice said...

simple and yummy for sure
thks for sharing
Merry Xmas to u and family :)

Babe_KL said...

Joy to you, love to you, everything good to you this season. Have a blessed Christmas!

Noob Cook said...

great use for your leftover pie crust. Happy Holidays!

daphne said...

Good and easy recipe! Here is to more recipes to come!!