This is the most basis sponge cake recipe uses only eggs, sugar and flour. I flavored it with pandan paste or you can use pure vanilla extract for the vanilla flavor. I made this because I just made a bottle of pandan kaya using my bread maker and I wanted to have it with some sponge cake. I had used this sponge cake recipe for swissroll before and this recipe works well for me. If you have been my avid reader, you should realize that I always stick to the recipe that works well for me. Not quite adventurous as to try other sponge cake recipe. Or simply put, just used the one easy sponge cake recipe that does not require to separate the eggs into egg white and did it like the chiffon cake method.
This cake was spongy and delicious with the double pandan flavors from the cake and kaya. Quite fattening I must say, that's why it was served in small pieces, but one piece was never enough.
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1/2 tsp. Pandan paste
- Kaya jam for spreading, as needed
1. Preheat oven to 400'F. Grease a 12x8-inch jelly roll pan and line with parchment paper.
2. Combine eggs and sugar in a bowl. Beat with a handheld electric mixer until thick and mousse-like. (When the beaters are lifted, a trail should remain on the surface of the mixture for at least 15 seconds.) Add pandan paste and beat well. (Make sure you beat until thick and mousse-like as this is the most important step in making this sponge cake, or else you would fail and your sponge cake would be hard)
3. Carefully fold in the flour with a large metal spoon.
4. Spoon into the prepared pan, spread evenly to the edges and bake for 10-12 minutes, until the cake springs back when lightly pressed.
5. Neatly trim the edges of the cake. Cut into half and sandwich kaya jam between the cake. Cut into petite pieces to serve.