It is not a bad idea to keep some puff pastry in the freezer when it goes on sales. It can make for a really quick snack or emergency finger food or appetizer. Not a bad idea to have few canned of tomato sardine in the pantry for cases like this as well. I always loved the spicy sardine filling, it was a flavor that I grew up loving and still love. Too bad Evy didn't like the sardine filling, so Edda and I had most of it. :-P
This is one snack that is really easy to make with the frozen puff pastry. You can get creative with all sort of fillings that you could imagine. For example, curry chicken with potato, tuna, apple, kaya, red bean paste, nutella, cherry, strawberry, char siew, etc. As long as you can imagine it, you can make it!
- 1 sheet of frozen puff pastry, thaw in room temperature for 40 minutes.
- 1 egg + 1 tsp. water for egg wash
- 1 small canned of tomato sardine, drain
- 1 big shallot, minced
- 1 Tbsp. key lime juice
- 1 Tbsp. ketchup
- 2 Tbsp. Maggi sweet chili sauce
1. Cut the thawed puff pastry into 9 square pieces. Mix the filling ingredients into a bowl. Use a small roller and roll the puff pastry into a slightly bigger square, fill in the filling and seal it with a fork, like picture above.
2. Brush the top with egg wash. Bake in preheated 400'F oven for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
But OOPS!! Why my filling came out during baking? But never mind, let it cool and just stuff the filling in using a teaspoon. Do you think is because I put too much filling? Because I thought I sealed it pretty well.