Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Salmon Mixed Vegetable Porridge (jook)


Porridge again?  Why so many porridge because this time I had been sick.  I had some bad sore throat right after Evy was cured.  It was really painful and I had to cook myself some porridge/jook/congee.  This time I used frozen mixed vegetable, dried scallop, salmon, dried shrimps and some cut bok choy.  Lastly garnished with some fried shallots.  The cooking instruction can be found at my old post here.


This was how I like my porridge, all the rice grains broken out, watery and soft.  It was sweet with a touch of salt as I added dried scallop and dried shrimps in this.  Healthy too right?


Too bad, both my girls do not fancy porridge, even though it is delicious.  My elder has been very picky and my second one just like to follow her sister.  But if the sister is at school, she will eat the porridge with me.

17 comments:

daphne said...

oh dear, hope u r feeling better? I think jook is the best comfort food of all! My fav is lean pork with century egg!
hopefully your girls will acquire a taste for it soon!

Belinda @zomppa said...

I was never a huge jook fan, but I think because the salmon was missing!

tigerfish said...

Hope you have completely recovered. The temp. changes too drastically - need to take extra care of our body and health.

Baking Fiend said...

Hope you are better now.

GImme porridge anytime, I'll love it.

Charmaine said...

Hope you are feeling better. I love jook too, esp. when I am sick. It's like chicken soup.

yd said...

Hope you are feeling better now. I am one of those who loves porridge too :)

Anonymous said...

Haha, ur second girl really looks up to ur first. I used to be like that when i was a kid too,always looking up to my older sister and copying what she does or does not do!

Kana said...

We used to have hot rice porridge for breakfast on Sundays! Bought from the aunty who only sells it on Sunday am by the market.

Little Corner of Mine said...

Daphne, I am well now, this was an old post. Thanks.

Haha Belinda.

I agreed Tigerfish!

Baking Fiend, me too!

Yup Charmaine, I like chicken soup too.

Yd, I am well now, thank you.

Crustabakes, yes she really is looking up to her sister.

Luckily you Maya. Cooking jook for breakfast is a bit too much for me, just like something easy. :P

Little Inbox said...

Porridge is suppose to be kid's food. But, now a days kids tend to love more flavorful meal. LOL.

Bakericious said...

I love porridge, tis looks so tasty.

Retno Prihadana said...

I haven´t tried Porridge with salmon, only with chicken. It sounds a good idea to try. Hope you´re getting better.

Unknown said...

healthy and yummy...i had sore throat too the other day but i just took panadol (easy way out, and not very healthy eh?)

My Asian Kitchen said...

hope you're well now.yes these days the weather change like crazy so does our body..Mishu also refuse to eat chok now...guess grown up and used to eat american food ,now chok doesn't taste good she said..when she was baby she just walop left and right!!no complaint!

Ling's Passion said...

Hope you are getting better. Porridge is a nice change from the usual rice and noodles.

Adeline said...

Looks delicious! I love salmon with porridge! How do you 'break' the rice grains? :)

Little Corner of Mine said...

Thanks all.

Adeline, when the porridge is cooked, you kept on stirring it until the rice breaks. ;)