Friday, August 27, 2010

Pork with Marinated Bok Choy


I was given some marinated bok choy from our friend who owns a Chinese restaurant.  This marinated bok choy was prepared by the head chef in his restaurant.  I saw this dish prepared by the head chef and it looked really appetizing and I was trying to replicate it.  Typing this post now I just realized I forgot to add red pepper flakes and I shouldn't add water (as the bok choy will release water when cooking).  The head chef version was dry and his pork was sliced really thin and small.  Not sure what was his seasonings though, probably just salt and MSG?

Anyway, this is my version without the MSG.


This was the marinated bok choy that I received.  I used this to cook porridge and it was really good. What do you call this?






Ingredients:

1 boneless pork chop, thinly sliced and marinated with some Chinese wine, salt, white pepper, sugar and cornstarch.
2 big bunches of marinated bok choy, rinsed and cut into small pieces.
2 cm piece of ginger, thinly sliced
4 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
Sprinkle of red pepper flakes (I added it here)
Salt to taste
Sugar to taste
Dark soy sauce, a touch

Method:

1.  Heat up the wok, when heated, add in some oil.  Add in ginger, stir-fry until fragrant, add in garlic and red pepper flakes, fry until garlic is slightly golden, add in pork and stir-fry until no longer pink.

2.  Add in marinated bok choy and stir-fry well.  Add seasonings to taste.  Serve hot!

8 comments:

Belinda @zomppa said...

I hope there wasn't any MSG in it! I like yours - simple and good for you!

tigerfish said...

I am also not sure of the name but it looks like Bai Cai Gan (fried/preserved Bok Choy) that has been re-hydrated :O

noobcook said...

Yum! Restaurant fare w/o the MSG :)

Anonymous said...

yum! over a side of rice, delicious!

Unknown said...

I love bok choy and that is always my go-to veggie. Great dish.

Cooking Gallery said...

Looks very homey! I am sure it tastes great with a bowl of hot piping rice!

daphne said...

ooo.. I cant find this in Perth at all! But it looks soo simple and good!

Unknown said...

hmm have i seen this in hkg markets before...

i remember suen choi, suet choi, mui choi...i'll check the market next time :D