Saturday, December 05, 2009

Sweet Potatoes Porridge



Sweet potato is super cheap this time of the year. I saw it as low as 25 cent/lb at WalMart. I regretted I didn't buy some at this price to keep. Edda was not feeling well and I decided to cook her some porridge. Instead of the usual fish porridge, I tried the chicken and sweet potatoes porridge. I made the porridge quite watery and cut the sweet potato into tiny cubes for easy swallowing. But guess what? She didn't like it at all. I think she is not a fan of sweet potato cooked in this way. Anyway, you can substitute the sweet potato with pumpkin.





Ingredients:

Sweet potato, sliced skinless chicken breast, rice, water and salt to season.

Method:

In a pot, add in a handful of rice. Rinse with water. Add enough water to cook porridge and place it on the stove. Turn the heat to high and wait for it to boil. When boiling, turn the heat to low and give it a stir. Add in chicken breast and sweet potato cubes, give it a stir. Cover it and let it simmer until cooked, keep stirring once in a while. Lastly, season to taste with a little salt.



11 comments:

Retno Prihadana said...

Yummy....perfect for a cold day.

Noob Cook said...

Your porridge must be really sweet with the sweet potatoes and chicken :)

Sweet Jasmine said...

This use to be a poor man dish in the old days. I remember eating this as kid. My boys do not like this porridge too. Why hor?

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

I guess you have no chance cook this again since your daughter doesn't like this, hehehe..

Ju (The Little Teochew) said...

Sorry to hear that Edda was not feeling well. Hope she is better by now. I am a fan of sweet potatoes in porridge. Just look at my blog header! LOL!

Little Corner of Mine said...

Thanks Retno.

It's indeed very sweet noobcook, so I only need to season with a little salt.

I don't know leh sweet Jasmine, she wouldn't want to eat it at all. Ended out I was the one who finished the porridge.

I guess you were right Sonia, unless I want to cook for myself because I did enjoy it.

Yes she is better now Ju, thanks. Yeah I don't understand why my girl didn't like it, it's soft and sweet.

Indonesia Eats said...

Time for porridge. Does your girl like the regular porridge?

daphne said...

I love having this for dinner as a kid- and even looking at it brings me back sweet memories!

tigerfish said...

Sweet potato porridge is very nutritious. You should let her get used to it?

Unknown said...

this screams comfort food to me :)

Unknown said...

wah! good addition of fiber...and sweetness :D
love the idea!