Friday, November 06, 2009

Homemade Chicken Meatballs



I wanted to make my own chicken meatballs for ages but never gotten to do it until the day I took my food processor out to process the chicken breast and shrimps for my Deep Fried Seaweed Beancurd Rolls.
I had an extra large chicken breast ready to be used, so I took this opportunity to process the chicken breast (since the food processor was already out) to make some bouncy meatballs. I never measured the weight of my chicken breast so I used half of the seasoning liquid as stated. You know just figuring my way through it. The resulted chicken meatballs was bouncy but not as smooth as Redneck. I guess I better stick to the recipe next time huh?





Adapted from Redneck's Kitchen. Makes 48 balls.

Ingredients:

  • 500gm chicken breasts
  • 1/2 cup icy cold water
  • 1 Tbsp. fish sauce
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 Tbsp. sugar
  • 1/2 Tbsp. oil
  • 2 Tbsp. cornflour
  • 11/4 tsp. baking powder
  • Dash of white pepper (optional)

Method


1. Mince the meat in a food processor until a paste is form. Add 5 Tbsp water (a Tbsp of water at a time) to get a smooth paste.


2. In a separate cup, mix together the remaining water, fish sauce, salt, sugar, oil, cornflour and baking powder.


3. Remove the chicken paste from the food processor and put in a big bowl. Pour the liquid mix to the paste and stir well slowly until the liquid is absorbed into the paste (use either your hand or a fork).


4. For the taste test...microwave or boil a teaspoon of the paste. Season to taste with more salt or sugar.


5. Cover bowl with clingwrap and place in the freezer for 30 minutes.


6. Boil a pot of water. Once the water has boiled, remove the pot from the heat.


7. Add pepper to the paste and stir to combine. Scoop the paste onto your wet hand. Push the paste through your thumb and 2nd finger by making a fist.
(Best to refer to the video below for a visual). Use a wet spoon to scoop and drop it into the hot water. To prevent the paste from sticking to your hand and spoon, wet the spoon and hand with water.

8. Continue until the chicken balls form a layer in the water. Now turn on the heat but
do not let it boil. Just simmer slowly without bubble....if not your chicken balls will not have 'bounce'. While cooking the chicken balls, any leftover paste should be kept in the freezer.

9. Fill a big basin with
icy cold water. When the chicken balls starts to float, leave for a few more seconds. (Cut one in half to see if it is cook. The inside should not be pink). Scoop out and let it cool in the cold water.

10. After the chicken balls have cooled, use as required or freeze.

Go to her blog to see video of making bouncy chicken meatballs.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

wow, i didnt know i should add baking powder to make these balls...thanks for the recipe, gotta try making my own bakso ayam :)

Noob Cook said...

nice to make own meatballs! maybe I should try for steamboat :D

Beachlover said...

I like bouncy ch ball too.I wanna to try redneck chic ball for the longest but didn't have the chance..yet!! your look good ma..not bad...eh?

Rasa Malaysia said...

I have never made chicken meat balls. That's such a great idea. Looks very bouncy and delicious. :)

Retno Prihadana said...

Hmm..yummy!I love meatballs. Ching, if corn flour is replaced with tapioca flour, will the consistent of meatballs be different?

Little Corner of Mine said...

You're welcome Rita, have to thanks Redneck for the recipe too. :)

Noobcook, good idea!

Beachlover, yeah not bad. It's best to eaten on the day it's made.

Thanks Rasa Malaysia.

Retno, frankly I don't know. You have to ask Redneck since she created this recipe. :P Sorry ya!

daphne said...

nice!!! I would love to bite into one! Especially since it has the "q q" look!