Saturday, November 14, 2009

Fried Peanuts



My hubby loved to buy roasted peanuts in shell from the supermarket to snack on. But he is very particular and picky about his taste. Once, he bought a bag of peanuts and decided he didn't like the taste and refuse to eat it anymore. So, what was I going to do with a big bag of peanuts? I shelled all of it while watching T.V. (yeah, multi-tasking is women talent) and freeze it. One day, when I was watching the CC4 "Everyday Food" cooking show, the chef was featuring crispy fried peanuts and that was it, I was like, "Now I can reuse the peanuts!" So, I reused the peanuts to create this "new" snack and my hubby loved it. HAHAHA... He couldn't stop snacking and had to set it aside in order to control himself. He definitely had no idea where these peanuts came from. LOL!





Ingredients:

  • 2-3 cups of peanuts
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1 egg white
  • 2 Tbsp. cornstarch to coat

Seasoning:
5 spice powder, chili powder, salt and sugar.


Before frying and coated with cornstarch.

Method:

1. Mix peanuts, egg white and salt together, stir well. Add cornstarch and coat well before deep-frying in medium heat oil. Pour enough oil for deep-frying, test with a peanut, if peanut float on top, it's hot enough. Turn to low heat and deep-fry until crunchy. Drain on paper towel.


2. I failed to achieve that crunchy stage, so I toast the peanuts in my toaster oven for 6-7 minutes, divided two trays. Once crunchy and still hot from the oven, sprinkle the peanuts with seasonings. Toast well. Leave to cool. When cool, keep in air-tight container for snack.

10 comments:

Holly said...

Sounds good and Easy! I'll have to try this. Thank you.

sock peng said...

i like it

Beachlover's Kitchen said...

wow!! this method is really interesting!! I bet it's must taste good!!

Fiona Foo said...

Hi auntie, I'm a Singaporean college student in California. Very happy to read your blog. I'm inspired to cook Asian food!

Unknown said...

wowww maybe can also add honey...yum yum yum

Chibog in Chief said...

Oh I miss eating these :-) We used to eat while watching movies!! Love love it!!

daphne said...

Egg white hey? I would have never known!

Hugbear said...

Ching, this looks simple enough. Actually if you want very crispy peanuts, fry them in low heat and slowly fry until the colour changes. I usually do mine like that and the peanuts are always crispy.

Little Corner of Mine said...

You're welcome Holly.

Thanks SP.

Yes Les, pretty addicting.

Great Fiona, I'm happy that you are inspired to cook Asian food, much healthier than western food eh. ;)

Rita, yeah maybe...

Dhanggit, this is a great snack.

Daphne, yup egg white, I would have never known too. :P

Thanks for your tips Hugbear. I never fried peanuts before, always toast it so I failed at frying this peanuts, ended out have to toast it instead. :P

Noob Cook said...

Yum yum, I like fried peanuts in my nasi lemak :)~