Monday, August 24, 2009

Rice Krispies Treats



Do you know how easy it is to make your own rice krispies treat? Most kids love rice krispies but the store-bought one can be quite pricey. I wanted to prepare some snack for Evy to bring to school so I thought of this. I added raisins for extra nutrition (you can add other dried fruit too). I cut and put them into individual snack bag so that I can just grab and put it in her backpack. It's easy for her to snack without her fingers being sticky and dirty as well. I think we can make a Cheerio version of this too. ;)


Packed down and let it cool.



Ingredients:


  • 3 Tbsp. butter
  • 2 Tbsp. creamy peanut butter (optional)
  • 10 oz. marshmallow or 4 cups mini marshmallow
  • 6 cups rice krispies
  • 1/2 cup raisins
  • 1 Tbsp. Nutella spread (optional)


In individual size snack zipper bag.

Method:

1. Use a cooking spray and spray a 9x2x13 pan. Set aside.

2. In a large saucepan, melt butter over low heat. Add in peanut butter and marshmallow and stir until completely melted. Take it off the heat and stir in rice krispies, raisins and Nutella spread. Quickly stir to coat well.

3. Pour into the prepared pan. Spray your hands/a spatula with cooking spray and press it down nicely. Let it cool before cutting.

4. Store in individual snack zipper bag and then the air-tight container.


Then lock and keep in an air-tight container. Best consume within 2-3 days.

16 comments:

SIG said...

I wanna make these for my girl too! Hey, now you can start bento-ing!

SIG said...

We can add oats too, for extra fibre.

Food For Tots said...

Homemade snack is not only cheap but healthier too! You are so thoughtful in preparing food for your kids! ;)

tigerfish said...

Good snack!

Leen said...

Hi LCOM
That's a good idea except our school is "Nut-free" due to some children having peanut allergy. What can we do to substitute the peanut butter and nutella? More butter?

daphne said...

Lucky girls u hv there to have such pretty and delicious home made treats to take to school to. I am sure they are an envy to their classmates!

teatea said...

Hi looks yummy and the appearance looks nice too.

Unknown said...

wa...so tempting! i am a big kid now, but i think i'll love this too!

Karine said...

These rice krispies look delicious! They were cheaper than the bought ones, but they were also probably more delicious!

Little Corner of Mine said...

SIG, my oats are the uncooked type so cannot put in this. But you can add chocolate chips, nuts and any dried fruit. Next year will start bento-ing. This year I only need to provide a healthy snack, just a snack zipper bag would do, no washing require mah. :P

Yes FFT. Lots of store-bought snacks have partially hydrogenated oil in the ingredients list, so I better make myself.

Thanks Tigerfish.

Leen, you can just omit the peanut butter and nutella. That's why I put optional. No need to add more butter.

Haha Daphne. Other moms are bringing healthy snack too like box of raisin, granola bar or fresh fruit. ;)

Thanks teatea. It is yummy, even I had to steal some from the kids. :P

Rita, I think you will because I like it too. :P

Yes Karine, definitely cheaper especially when you buy the rice krispies and marshmallow when they are on sales. ;)

Baking Fiend said...

gosh... i had a similar recipe to yours in my to-do list all along!

ok. i better get down to actually making these crispies... looks great!

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

wah, you are a great mum, even know how to prepare this kind of snack. But I dont know where I can buy rice krispies..

Ivena said...

Hi there

I have tried making the rice krispies...it taste so nice...not only the kids love it...even the adults...it was whipped out in a whiles time...

Chibog in Chief said...

my hubby and daughter will love this!! i'll be doing this and i'll add up some dried fruits like raisins and apricot on it!! thanks for sharing!!

Little Corner of Mine said...

Thanks baking fiend. Yeah, go make, very easy only.

Sonia, you can find the rice krispies at cereal aisle, most probably Kellogg's rice krispie.

Yes Ivena, it's quite addicting! Glad you liked it. :)

You're welcome Dhanggit, I am sure they will like it. :)

Noob Cook said...

wow your kids bring home-made snacks to school. They are lucky!