Saturday, August 15, 2009

Lemon Grass Shallots Soup



My mom cooked this soup for me during my confinement month. It left me with good impression as the shallots made the soup sweet and it had a hint of lemon grass. Now, I cooked this soup because I just learned that lemon grass is very good for our general health and anti-cancer. I added ginger just because it is anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory. This soup definitely brings no harm to us so I will be cooking it more often, just for prevention and general health benefit. Best of all, it tasted great. You can eat the shallots with the soup as it will be really soft with a tint of sweetness.




Ingredients:


  • 2 chicken drumsticks
  • 1 or 2 lemon grass, cut and smashed
  • 10 shallots, peeled and keep it whole
  • 1 small piece of ginger
  • 1000ml water
  • 1/2 tsp. sugar
  • Salt to taste

Method:

1. In a pot, bring 1 little of water to a boil. When boiling, add in the drumsticks. Then add the rest of the ingredients except sugar and salt. Let it simmer at low for 3-4 hours.

2. Season with sugar and to taste with salt. Serve hot.

16 comments:

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

I defintely will try this, since I have a lot of lemongrass in my garden, Thanks for sharing this great and healthy recipe.

My Asian Kitchen said...

interesting and healty soup!! how come my mom didn't make this soup for me during my confinement? hmmm...must try to cook this soup with lemongrass soon!

tigerfish said...

I would never thought of this combination. Thanks for the idea.

Hooi Ling said...

It is hard to imagine how this tastes as we usually use lemon grass in spicy/sour dishes. I shall give it a try as I have lemon grass growing in my backyard.

sock peng said...

very simple recipe

ICook4Fun said...

This is such an interesting soup. I never have this type of soup before. I am sure it taste great especially with the fragrant of lemon grass.

sue said...

Oh yeah, LCOM, I remember this soup too..my mom used to make it with pig stomach for me...You are right it's very, very tasty and good..Lately I have blotted stomach feelings, regardless I'm hungry or just eaten..maybe this soup will help me..Thanks for the recipe...

Babe_KL said...

my mom's version doesnt hv ginger but whole white peppercorns

Unknown said...

wow, simplicity at its best~!

A Full-Timed Housefly said...

Add in some button mushrooms or shitake mushrooms would be nice ,will try your version for tomorrow dinner :)

Baking Fiend said...

this is good soup for the tummy!

Little Corner of Mine said...

You're welcome Sonia, try it, surprisingly this soup does taste great.

Les, perhaps when you had Mishu that time, it was not heard of yet? I don't know I never heard of it when I had Evy. Only my second one when my mom came to help me, she learned from her friend.

No problem Tigerfish. ;)

Hooi Ling, the taste is surprisingly good. When I first heard that my mom was going to prepare this soup, I was not sure as well. But after I tried it, I completely changed.

Hehe yes SP, all my recipes are simple. :P

Gert, do try, it's good. :)

You're welcome Sue. Start making some for yourself ya! :)

Babe KL, my mom version doesn't have ginger too, not sure about whole peppercorns, have to ask her. I added ginger myself. :P

Thanks Rita. :)

Hope you like it FTHousefly.

Thanks for letting me know baking fiend.

pigpigscorner said...

Sounds really simple but packed full of flavours!

Noob Cook said...

What a unique combination, never heard of it. Gonna try it out, thanks for sharing :)

Anyhow-cook said...

Didn't know lemongrass can be used to boil soup. The lemongrass aroma is really pleasant and my hubby loves it ! Thanks for sharing !

Little Corner of Mine said...

You are welcome Anyhow-cook and thank you for the feedback. I loved this soup too! :)