Thursday, August 06, 2009

Chai Hsin with XO Sauce



My friend gave me a big bottle of her homemade XO sauce recently. What a treat for me as I loved XO sauce but not willing to pay the price for it and yet too lazy to make my own. So, I was real grateful of receiving this gift from her, like a valuable treasure.

For this above dish, I cooked the Chai Hsin with XO sauce and season with a little salt and that was it. Easy, flavorful and delicious. I have since used the XO sauce to top the soft tofu and microwave for a minute and a dish is served. XO sauce not only used as condiment but in stir-frying dishes as well. The restaurant here used the XO sauce to stir-fry squid and rice rolls noodle too. What other creative way have you used your XO sauce with?

11 comments:

ICook4Fun said...

I tried making X.O sauce once but is a lot of work and ingredients. Never attempt to do it again.I love using it for my noodles.

Par said...

I usually eat it with anything. On top of tofu, fried rice, mix with eggs.

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

I never cook dishes with XO sauce before, just wonder how it will taste... Can you ask the recipe from your friend on how to make the XO sauce, I like homemade one..Thanks.

Hugbear said...

Ching, use it on your fried rice. Very yummy too.

Wendy said...

I love XO sauce but worry about the possibility of having MSG in the store bought sauce. MSG makes me grasp for air when I lie down at night. Is there any chance your friend would share her recipe with your readers? Thanks.

Noob Cook said...

I just had excellent xo sauce at a local restaurant but their price tag for a small bottle is S$28+++ wth?! So inspired to make my own now. So nice with stir fries hor

A Full-Timed Housefly said...

I love XO Sauce.... they can do wonders ! I love reading your interesting blog and your two lovely daughters.

Little Corner of Mine said...

Gert, reading on the list of ingredients and method enough to stop me from making it. :D

SKY, yeah me too, basically use it on anything. :P

Sonia, she made in huge quantity and her recipe would be the estimated kind as she is a cook and a restaurant owner.

Thanks LeeLee. The fried rice would be so good!

Wendy, that would be hard as she cooked in restaurant size, huge pot with no measurement but to her own taste. She is a cook in a restaurant.

Yes noobcook, nice with stir-frying, as a condiment, just anything. Here also very pricey, small bottle for $20-$23. It's pricey because it is made with dried scallops and dried shrimps, some with Chinese ham.

Thanks FT Housefly and welcome to my blog. :)

Big Boys Oven said...

wow I had virgin bean with XO sauce last weekend at the restaraunt, XO sauce just fantastic!

Unknown said...

wow! home made XO sauce? i wantttt....i think anything taste yummier with xo sauce hehe

pigpigscorner said...

Yea agree, it's quite expensive and is a pain to make! Restaurant here use it for pork chops. yummy! I like mine for fried rice!