Saturday, September 29, 2007

Tofu & Seafood Dish



I love to buy those cylinder shape Japanese tofu because I have fond memory of them while in Malaysia. My parents used to order this dish while dining out and I was really impressed by how silken soft it is (10+ years ago) and I especially loved the deep-fried one served in a clay pot. Nowadays, there are variety of tofu sold in the Asian market ranging from extra firm to silken soft. So, this tofu is not that special anymore, except for the unique shape.

I pat dry my cut out tofu, coated it in potato starch and deep-fried til golden brown. I tried one while it was still warm and it was delicious just as it is, crispy outside and silken soft inside. However, I sort of ruin it by cooking the seafood sauce and later added the fried tofu in to simmer. Why? because the potato starch turned gluey, transparent starch when simmering in the sauce. Oh man! I should have just pour the sauce on top as I have planned instead of thinking of warming up the tofu and thus placed it in the sauce to simmer together. Big mistake! So, I pen it down here so that I won't make the same mistake again.

17 comments:

KellytheCulinarian said...

Looks delicious, great dish.

SIG said...

Oh I love this dish too. It's simple and light. Sometimes I forget about some food I've cooked. Thanks for reminding me. ;)

Big Boys Oven said...

OMG! such a wonderful dish...as I had just bought 3 tubes of egg tofu at tesco last nite after a dolly trolley frenzy there. Is this is yours is a winner...why? cause firstly I love seafood, I crazy for scallops and shrimps.... they are delicious and easy anf fast to dish up compare to meat! Oh you are a babe dishing up this menu... will dish up one myself tonight!

daphne said...

yum! I love those Jap Tofu too!! And I do it exactly the way u did it! I know what you mean by it turning gluely but pass me a spoon, I will have one anytime!

Little Corner of Mine said...

Thanks Kelly. :)

Hahaha...you're welcome singairishgirl. Sometimes I forget too! :)

*smile at BBOven*
Thanks and glad that it provides you with the inspiration to cook it tonight! Now, I want to see your masterpiece dish too, post it at BBKitchen?

Hahaha... Daphne, here's the spoon! LOL! :P

East Meets West Kitchen said...

That looks so delicious that I might just have to do an asian dish night soon! hehe!

Sweet Jasmine said...

Hi,next time use cornflour instead of potato for frying...it will not turn gluey...anyway lovely dish u have there!

Anonymous said...

I like tofu too, especially Japanese tofu. It's a must to order when eating out at Chinese restaurant. Thanks for sharing this. Will try it out in one day.

Little Corner of Mine said...

Thanks V! Yup, I have been seeing Western dishes a lot lately leh. LOL!

Thanks Sweet Jasmine for your pointer, note taken! :)

You're welcome Celine. Do try it!

Anonymous said...

I love tofu! I love the round ones too. Now, they even have round ones with fish cake mixed in. Those were delicious too.

Let's hope I will remember this when I have tofu in the fridge!

Anonymous said...

Wooo...I like this dish a lot. My mil used to cook this with minced meat too. I can never do a good job in frying silken tofu....what's the trick?

Little Corner of Mine said...

Haha Tricia, you are funny! I hope you remember this dish too! One thing about this dish is a lot of extra work like deep-frying the tofu first.

Hi Tigerfish,
Trick ah? Donno leh. Because this was my first time frying a silken tofu too...hahaha... But I can let you know how I did mine.
First I cut the tofu in slices and put it on top of paper towel to keep it dry (even pat the top with paper towel). Then, just coat it with potato flour and put it in medium heat oil and deep-fry til golden brown. Oh, don't turn it over too quickly, let it deep-fry until you are pretty certain the bottom is brown before you flip it over. Hope this help! :)

Retno Prihadana said...

I like tofu too. Yours look so delish with shrimps...yummmm!

Little Corner of Mine said...

Thanks Retno. :)

Unknown said...

Looks super duper yummy.

aiknhoon said...

Got the same tofu last week, remember seeing you have a dish on your blog and just have come and see how you cook it. Will try this afternoon! Thanks for the tip. Will pour sauce when it's ready to serve!

Little Corner of Mine said...

Hope you & family like this dish, aiknhoon. :)