What can I say, after seeing the Swiss roll one after another popping up at East Meets West Kitchen, I got motivated. I adapted this easy Swiss roll recipe from my previous Pandan Kaya Jelly Roll . I wanted to use this recipe again because (1) I wanted to proof that I can still make a Swiss roll without the 1 Tbsp. of hot water (as in the original recipe). (2) No butter or oil was used in this recipe, thus a healthier version.
I turned this into Chocolate Swiss Roll because I wanted to use Nutella as filling. Little did I know this combination can hardly see the swirling effect of Swiss roll. In addition, I didn't roll it once out of the oven and thus the top got cracks. :( Anyway, as long as it still tasted good right? ;)
1/2 cup granulated sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
1/2 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
1/4 cup cocoa powder, sifted
Nutella jam for spreading
Confectioners' sugar for dusting (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 400'F. Grease a 12x8-inch jelly roll pan and line with parchment paper.
2. Combine eggs and sugar in a bowl. Beat with a handheld electric mixer until thick and mousse like. (When the beaters are lifted, a trail should remain on the surface of the mixture for at least 15 seconds.)
3. Sift flour and cocoa powder in a bowl. Carefully fold the flour mixture into the egg mixture until incorporated.
4. Spoon into the prepared pan, spread evenly to the edges and bake for 10-12 minutes, or until the cake springs back when lightly pressed.
5. Spread a sheet of wax paper on a flat surface, sprinkle it with granulated sugar, then invert the cake on top. Peel off the parchment paper. Roll up the cake while still warm. Let cool for 5 minutes with seam side down.
6. Unroll the cake. Neatly trim the edges of the cake. Spread the cake with Nutella and roll it up again. Let cool completely.
I would love to thanks Retno from Kedai Hamburg for awarding me with this Rockin' Girl Blogger Award. Really appreciated it since I never really receive award of any kind. Now I would love to pass this award to my girlfriend V at
East Meets West Kitchen. You rock girlfriend! :o)