Basic Whole Wheat Dough recipe (using a BreadMaker):
2 3/4 cup whole wheat flour (King Arthur)
1 cup plain flour
1 tsp. bread improver
1 tsp. salt
1 Tbp. milk powder
1/2 cup brown sugar
220ml cold water
1/3 cup butter
1 Tbp. instant yeast
1. Add everything in according to your breadmaker manual. Turn on the dough function and let the breadmaker do the work.
2. When done, take the dough out, give it a few kneads and cut it and shape it whatever you like. For the above bun shape, roll the dough in cylinder shape, cut out individual portion, roll it into ball and place it on a baking pan lined with parchment paper.
Note: You can add any filling you like at this point as well.
3. When finished placing the balls of dough in the baking pan, leave some space in between for it to prove. Cover with plastic wrap and let it proves for 45-60 mins depending on the temperature of your room (or til double in size). It is faster if you let it proves under the sun. [For us who lives in U.S. or other seasonal country, during winter I prove my bread/buns in a preheated 170'F (my oven lowest temp.) oven for 30 mins]
4. When double in size, brush the top with milk or egg wash (optional) and bake in the preheated 375'F oven for 10-12 mins. Or until golden brown on top.
5. Cool on wire rack and keep in an air-tight container.